Monday, June 25, 2007

The panther that wouldn't die...


I was about to call it a day from working the "back forty", and was thoroughly exhausted... It was pretty near slap dark, and there just beyond the dark edge of the swampy side of the woods, was the biggest panther I'd ever seen. Why, its evil eyes were glowing, and it was crouched ready to spring.

I fired my shotgun, and saw that I made a clean kill, for the panther fell dead where it stood... Cautiously, I ventured closer to find....

I had made toothpicks outta an overturned roots-up kinda stump with my shotgun. The evil eyes turned out to be the last rays of muted sunlight filtering between some of the roots...I was so sure it was the old panther that had been prowling the property like clockwork...

That was the first and last case of mistaken identity I ever made with a firearm. A memorable lesson learned.

No comments: